Friday, December 16, 2011

Selecting Fictional Character Names

Find the Perfect Name for a Fictional Character

About a year ago I wrote a five-part series called Find the Perfect Name for a Fictional Character. Recently, for my work in progress, a book I'm calling Do Unto Others which is a continuation of Where Love Once Lived, I needed to use the Fictional Character Name Generator described in Part 5 of the series.

Velma Crackenburg

In the articles published last year, I joked about how the name Velma Crackenburg suggested to Camy Tang after her Facebook call for help for a name for a nasty old lady sounded like a name from the automated name generator.

At the time I didn't think I would ever have a need for such an unusual, obviously fake, name. I got my names from people I knew or combinations of their names. But, now I see the benefit of a truly fictional name. As it turns out, two names in my first book were a bit too real. I'm not talking lawsuit bad, but scary.

In Do Unto Others I want to be extra careful because the plot involves a court case and I don't want anyone to think it might be about them.

Learn More About Character Names Here

If you want to learn more about selecting fictional character names, read the following articles:

Find the Perfect Name for a FictionalCharacter Part 2
Find the Perfect Name for a FictionalCharacter Part 3
Find the Perfect Name for a FictionalCharacter Part 4
Find the Perfect Name for a FictionalCharacter Part 5

Camy Tang's Velma Crackenbury

By the way, I did a Google search on Velma Crackenburg to see if Camy Tang actually used the suggested  name and found this:
Protection for Hire: A Novel - Google Books Result

books.google.com/books?isbn=0310412765...Camy Tang - 2011 - Fiction - 352 pages
Velma lifted a hand to smooth her steely topknot ponytail. “Of course.” “Velma Crackenburg, my uncle Joshua Cathcart.” Josh's eyes bugged out a little, ...
But, I found something else I didn't expect. I found two references to what appear to be real people with last name Crackenburg. Oops! Sorry. I didn't mean to make fun of your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment