Tuesday, November 13, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: Found Adrift: 40 Days of Recovering Grace by Pauline Creeden

This book is for people who have been distracted by life to the point where their walk with God is not as often or as close as it once was. That's me. That's many of us.

This is a devotional, meant to be read in forty days. I was in a hurry so I read it all in one day. Although I don't recommend doing so, reading the book in this way gave me some insights I may have missed if I had spread  it out over the longer period. The reason I don't recommend it is because I feel more time is needed between each day's devotion to absorb the message. What I saw while reading it in one sitting, you may also see following the one a day schedule, but I'm not sure. I noticed something happening as I went from one day to the next. Something good. Either I was actually growing spiritually or the author was. Each day was better than the previous. Not so much by what was said, but how it was said.

Each day's devotion referred to scripture and ended with a prayer thought. In between, the author took examples from her life to explain how to keep from drifting away from God. The examples became stronger as the days went by. Near the end the descriptions were fuller and the emotions deeper. Reading the book was a positive experience for me and I highly recommend it.




2 comments:

  1. I read this book in one day also -- it was too good to spread out. I really appreciated Paula's insights and rated it five stars on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete