Monday, September 27, 2010

First Book Signing for Where Love Once Lived

Saturday, September 25, 2010 I had my first book signing for Where Love Once Lived. I had no idea how many books I would need so I took about two dozen books with me into the store, with another eighty-five or so in the trunk of my car. I got there early so I could find a close parking place because I didn't want to leave my signing duties for too long while replenishing the supply of the rapidly selling books.

I was scheduled for 11:00 to 2:00. There was a steady stream of customers for a small store in a small town. There were only a few short periods of times when there were no customers at all. Except while signing books, I stood and talked to everyone who came in. I even tried the suggestion I had read about of putting my book into the hands of a customer. They quickly handed it right back.

A family of four came by and asked if there was a Christian bookstore in town. After Courtney told them where the closest one was I mentioned to them that my book was Christian fiction. They smiled politely and left.

By the end of the three hours I had sold 18 copies of Where Love Once Lived. Ten went to members of my church, two to members of the San Gabriel Writers League, one to a neighbor, one to a singing friend, one to a friend of a friend, two to family members, and one copy to a complete stranger who wanted to see if it was something her book club might want to discuss.

All in all, a pretty good day.

I left six copies at the bookstore in case anyone came late. Sunday, several friends at church said they would go buy one the six I left at the store.

2 comments:

  1. Good start Sid. I'm sure when word about your book gets out you will sell more copies. I am sure that publicity is the most important thing in selling books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right. One of the disadvantages of self publishing is that I'm in charge of publicity. But one of the advantages is that I can keep at it longer than the traditional publisher will. Speaking of publicity, check the ACCent coming up.

    ReplyDelete